Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Thank your local daily newspaper every day


My local daily newspaper had some excellent articles today about: Rep. Todd Akin, the value of a college education in this recession, the demographic makeup of the incoming college freshman class, Pussy Riot-like punishments around the world, Phyllis Diller's obit, charitable giving in religious states, evidence of Amelia Earhart's plane and more.
Plus, I learned about Rosie O'Donnell's heart attack, Nikki Minaj on American Idol and the death of Scott McKenzie.
In addition to local briefs, there were briefs about student immigration checks in Alabama, Rep. Yoder's skinny dip, another Syrian attack, cosmonauts' space walk, Argentina seeking voting rights for 16-year-olds and India blocking websites.
And that doesn't even count sports, life and business — all delivered right to my house.
And I could read all of that news and vital information in about the same amount of time that it takes to watch half an episode of Dancing with the Stars.
And I could read all of that news and vital information without any shrill commentary about those stories from either the left or the right.
Thank you to my local daily newspaper for making me a well-informed citizen every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment