Saturday, June 23, 2012

Go ahead, take it. It's all right. It's free.


I know some of you have heard this story already, but for those who haven't...
On our first full day in Kuna, Nicola, Luke, Robert and I drove around town a bit, then decided to get a pizza for dinner from Idaho Pizza Company, down at the far west end of Main Street.
When I went in to pick up our pizza, I noticed a big stack of copies of the Kuna Melba News, about 30 or so. I grabbed one and told the kid at the register to add it to our bill.
“Oh, we don’t charge for those,” he said with a chuckle. “They’re free.”
“But it says 50 cents right here,” I said, pointing to the front page.
He looked at it, as if for the first time. “Don’t worry about it. No one pays for those.”
I felt like Eddie Murphy in that Saturday Night Live skit in which he dresses up as a white man and gets everything for free.
Not a good sign, though. I could see I was going to have my work cut out for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment